Friday, June 29, 2007

Conversation

I wrote this poem three years back. It is inspired by the book 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coelho. Most of my friends have already read it (my poem I mean), but I would welcome comments. :)

Conversation

He knew not how to walk; he crawled on all fours, but as gracefully as he could,
Then with all the strength in his tiny limbs, the baby carefully stood,
And looked out through the window, a gleam in his little eyes,
Singing merrily through the air, arrived a tiny winged surprise.

‘How nice to see you birdie, on a day so bright and clear!
A bird so small yet so beautiful, tell me, what brings you here?’
Now perched at the window, it gazed at him for a while,
Then in one magical moment, returned his toothless, priceless smile.

‘Oh little one, O dear little one, with a mind so very pure,
You see I am a young one too, you’ll be my friend I’m sure!’
‘Certainly I’ll be! That’s sweet of you, saying thus you’ve made my day,
For I have nothing that’s mine, except a name I’ve not learnt to say.’

And thus that day, that splendid day, on that bright and blissful morn,
One that the baby would never forget, his first friendship was born.
So the next day again, and the one after that, and others in succession,
The bird and baby met at the window, lost in sweet conversation.

And on one such day, that this sweet friendship brought,
To the baby’s longing mind, came rushing a thought-
‘Birdie, you’ve wings, and so you fly,
I presume with ease, you can scale the sky?’

‘It is a gift I have, you’re right, it’s true,
But why this query, little friend, out of the blue?'
'I don’t have wings, but I have a thought, over which I ponder,
If some day, I flap my arms, can I too fly, I wonder?’

‘Your innocence speaks for you, and its sweetness I much admire,
I’m glad you’ve told me what you feel and expressed your desire.
You’re not winged, it’s not your fault, just one of nature’s little things,
But don’t let that smile fade from your face, for one day, you’ll fly without wings.

You’re so small you haven’t learnt to walk, so impossible though this may seem,
You’ll fly some day, make your wish come true, for in your eyes, I see a dream.
Live this dream, give it wings, mark my words, my friend,
Let nothing thwart your dream, beyond all bounds let it transcend.

You’ve a lot to learn, a long way to go, little as you are,
Never cease to dream, for you will see, it’s your dreams that will take you far.
Believe me, you’ll fly, let no weakness fruitless your quest deem,
Keep in mind, every success you see, was once just a miniscule dream.’

With this the bird left, and the baby thought: ‘There is a dream in my eyes,
A dream that I must pursue, a dream I shall realize!’
That night he dreamt as he lay asleep in his bed,
He dreamt of his friend the bird, and the wonderful things it had said.

He dreamt that he was flying high, way above the world,
Sands and seas bowed down to him, mountains shrank and rivers twirled.
Now he saw a house, a sight he knew would loom,
Down he flew and softly perched, at the window of a baby’s room.


When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it.

-‘The Alchemist', Paulo Coelho.

5 comments:

Harsha said...

I love this one - I think it's your best so far :) Dil ko chu jaati hai kahi na kahi...maybe it's the baby and bird, the perfect blend of innocence and imagination...magical!

My absolute fave line...
'For I have nothing that’s mine, except a name I’ve not learnt to say.’ Brilliant :)

Athena said...

Oh my God!! Wow! I don't have words for this one!!

This one's really brilliant too! Actually I liked it better than the previous one :-)

Very very inspiring and touching! Really really good job, Aseem!

nissim said...

"When you want something, all the Universe conspires against you achieving it."
the cynical me.
As Pink Floyd said:
when I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse,
out of the corner of my eye,
I turned to look but it was gone,
I cannot put my finger on it now,
the child is grown,
the dream is gone.


Wonderfully written!!
May we dream and achieve bigger dreams.

Amit Pagedar said...

Lovely poem Aseem. I think I had read it before. As beautiful as always.
Queer coincidence I wrote something on very similar lines. Its up there on DA. You can read it here, I am pretty sure you already have.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/11638910/

Lyandra D'souza said...

nice.. im impressed